The Ship Inn 1985 Flood


Here is a great picture of the Ship Inn in Llantwit Fardre in 1985, before the road was widened and subsequently additional work was completed as part of the building of the Church Village Bypass was built this area was always susceptible to flooding, however this is not the reason for the pub being called the ship.

Local legend has it that It was built in 1850 by a ship’s captain called the Cambrian after the mine by the community centre and subsequently changed to Dyfryn Dowlais, but was always nicknamed the ship from days of the retired captain, it was renamed to the Ship Inn around 1890.